Backpacker Hostel Turangi, New Zealand
Golden Fern is a Backpackers conveniently located in Turangi the gateway to the Tongariro National Park. We used to be called Extreme Backpackers and when our new owners and wonderful new Manager Josh Bramley came onboard we rebranded as Golden Fern Backpackers.
Enjoy your stay in a dorm, share, double or twin rooms with private or shared bathrooms. Relax in the warm lounge or sunny courtyard with BBQ & Free Wi-Fi for guests.
Turangi and the Central North Island area offers a plethora of amazing hikes for the beginner or seasoned multi-day hiker, some of the best fly fishing in the world and a vast range of other activities including indoor rock climbing and white-water rafting.
Our friendly and knowledgeable staff will help you make the most out of your trip in the Lake Taupo and Tongariro National Park area. We can help arrange your trip and transport to the Tongariro Crossing, Northern Circuit Mt Ruapehu (ski fields) and Kaimanawa ranges. We can explain where the best skiing or mountain bike is in the area. We can suggest the best places to eat – although you can use our fully equipped kitchen or BBQ. If you need help at any time our onsite manager is there to help.
Free coffee & tea
Common living room
Common dinning room
Fully equipped common kitchen
Guest Washing / Dryer
In rooms heaters
Internal garden area
At Golden Fern, we offer guests with the option of mixed *dorms, all-female dorms, en suite or 4 per person rooms. Dorms are ideal for the backpacker on a budget who is looking for a clean and comfortable place to stay. They are also an excellent choice for backpackers looking to meet new and interesting travellers from around the world.
*A dorm room is either a 4-bed or 8-bed configuration with no en suite
8 Bed Rooms
4 Bed Rooms
Double en suites
Twin en suites
Rooms with more privacy
Clean and Comfortable
Double Family / Twin Rooms
Clean and Comfortable
Frequently Asked Questions
Check IN Time
Check-in time is 2pm – 7pm. If you plan on coming after 7pm, please advise the manager on your booking, and we can arrange After Hours Entrance and keys.
Check OUT time
We will be sorry to see you go however our check out time is 10am
Do you have onsite parking?
Yes, we have parking on site
Is there an age limit to staying at Golden Fern?
Guests must be over 18 years old to stay in dorm rooms. Minors accompanied by an adult can only stay in private rooms.
Do you have a 24hr front desk?
Our manager is available for office hours between 8am to 7pm.
If you have an emergency please contact the manager directly by pressing the buzzer on the front door or by calling: 07 386 8949.
If you are arriving on the late bus in to Turangi, let our manager know when you make your reservation and they will have the key ready for you at our 24hrs After Hours Entrance
How far is Golden Fern from the Turangi i-site?
Golden Fern is the closest backpackers to downtown and to the Turangi i-SITE and the bus depot.
We are 230m (3 min walk) from the bus depot / Turangi i-SITE Visitor Information Centre.
Head southeast on Ngawaka Pl toward Ohuanga Rd/Te Rangitautahanga Rd, we are on the left hand side: Map Here
Did you used to be Extreme Backpackers?
Yes, we did, we rebranded when new owners took over the business. We are still happy and welcome you to stay with us.
Do you have a cancellation policy?
Yes, we do, see our House Rules
Can I smoke on the premises?
For the safety of all guests at Golden Fern there is a No Smoking and a No Drugs policy.
Do I need a credit card to make a reservation?
No reservation will be activated without a credit card deposit.
Walk-ins are accepted with a credit card with their name. It is a security measure for us, the CC will not be used or activated without explaining to you first why we would do it, for example, financial penalties will be charged for excessive mess or staining you have caused in your room or in a community area.
Do you have security lockers or a secure area for belongings?
We are working on installing security lockers – Please note that Golden Fern takes no responsibility for any lost, damaged or stolen luggage or personal property. Please if you are traveling with valuables, or keep valuables on yourself at all times.
Deposit Only Rates
The property has a 24hr cancellation policy. Failure to cancel within this time will result in one full night accommodation charged back to the credit card linked with the booking. I am sure you understand that if we don’t know you are not coming we cannot then book out your room / bed to another traveller.
If you received one of our non-refundable rates if you choose to cancel your bookings or if you are a no-show you will be charged the full cost of your booking.
Loss or damage of items.
Golden Fern liability
- Personal and other belongings are carried at the guests own risk.
- We currently do not have storage lockers, we are working on this!
- Golden Fern has no safe-keeping duty and no responsibility over lost or damaged items. Even if those items are left in care of the manager.
- The insurance of items brought to Golden Fern are the guests responsibility. This includes vehicles, and the objects within them, which are parked near or in the parking lot at Golden Fern.
Terms and Conditions
- These terms and conditions apply to contracts made either by telephone, e-mail, our website, third parties websites or personally between Golden Fern and the guest, for letting rooms, beds and further services of Golden Fern. Golden Fern has the right to exercise its property rights if guests do not honour the house rules or are purposely destructive their reservation will be cancelled and they will be asked to be removed.
- Guests are asked to pay immediately at check-in either by cash, credit card or debit card.
- No reservation will be activated without a credit card deposit. Walk-ins are accepted with a credit card with their name.
- Golden Fern has the right to charge a complete first night for cancellations within 24 hours of check-in
- If you travel on to your next destination and forget to drop off your key please contact us immediately otherwise we will need to charge back to your credit card to have new keys cut for that room.
- Golden Fern has the right to eliminate a contract in a situation in which Golden Fern is unable to provide full service due to extreme circumstances such fire, volcanic eruption, plague, flood, etc. In this case Golden fern will provide assistance to re accommodate the guests in another accommodation provider in the Turangi or area.
- Financial penalties will be charged for excessive mess or staining you have caused in your room or in a community area.
- Please note that Golden Fern takes no responsibility for any lost, damaged or stolen luggage or personal property. Please if you are traveling with valuables, or keep valuables on yourself at all times.
- The maximum duration of stay at Golden Fern is 21 nights
- Bookings of two or more people made in dormitory rooms are NOT guaranteed to be in the same room, please state when booking if you require to be in the same room.
- Guests must be over 18 years old to stay in dorm rooms. Minors accompanied by an adult can only stay in private rooms.
We always want to improve
- If you feel you have not been provided good service please make a complaint in directly to the manager. If you feel uncomfortable doing this please email email@example.com
- We will always do our best to remedy any situation you feel is not comfortable or is not to your standard. The sooner you let us know the sooner we can improve your stay with us.
- If we met or exceed your expectations please leave us a positive review here…..
Things to note
We are open year round – Turangi is as wonderful in the winter as it is in the summer.
Please be aware we have a friendly Golden Fern cat
Our manager is available for office hours between 8am to 7pm. If you have an emergency please contact the manager directly by pressing the buzzer on the front door or by calling: 07 386 8949
How to find us
We are conveniently located 100m from the bus stop and Turangi i-Site, two minute’s walk to all the shops and services.
Coming from the north or south Via SH1 turn into Pihanga Rd beside the “Z petrol station,” turn right at the round-about onto Ohuanga Rd, drive past the “BP petrol station” and shops, turn right into Ngawaka Place and you will find us on the right.
We are located right across from Rafting New Zealand, next door to the climbing wall and Golden Crust Pizza.
Took a trip with the family to see the snow up Mt Ruapehu and stayed at Extreme backpackers for a night, this place was awesome the whole family just loved the place the kitchen, dinning, lounge was just perfect for our group of 12 and the the host just friendly and made us felt welcome, awesome place I’ll definitely make this place as our stop over destination. A+
Great place for a wet cycle tourist. Very welcoming and hospitable. Kitchen and lounges well setup. I’ll com again
Really chilled backpackers. Friendly owner, nice small garden (with slack line), big kitchen, off-street parking.
The room was completely empty except the beds (I would prefer a night-stand).
The showers and toilets were clean and well lighten. The wi-fi was fast and everywhere.
Generally the atmosphere was welcoming and pleasant.
Are you on an adventure?